Star Trek actor George Takei responds to allegations he sexually assaulted a young actor
Star Trek icon George Takei has fired off a series of tweets to deny he ever knew a struggling actor and model who has accused him of sexual assault in 1981.
“The events he describes back in the 1980s simply did not occur, and I do not know why he has claimed them now,” the 80-year-old Mr Takei said in a series of tweets.
Scott R Brunton told The Hollywood Reporter he was 23 at the time, living in Hollywood and working as a waiter when he met Mr Takei at a bar.
They exchanged numbers, he said, speaking by telephone from time to time. Mr Takei allegedly invited Mr Brunton to dinner, the theatre and back to his condo for drinks soon after Mr Brunton had broken up with a boyfriend.
Mr Brunton said he grew dizzy and “must have passed out”, awaking to his pants around his ankles and Mr Takei groping him. He said he extricated himself and left.
The Hollywood Reporter said on Friday it spoke to four longtime friends of Mr Brunton who said he had confided in them about Mr Takei years ago.
On Saturday, Mr Takei took to Twitter and said the events described in an interview with Mr Brunton “simply did not occur”.
George Takei tweet: Friends, I’m writing to respond to the accusations made by Scott R. Bruton. I want to assure you all that I am as shocked and bewildered at these claims as you must feel reading them.
George Takei tweet: But I do take these claims very seriously, and I wanted to provide my response thoughtfully and not out of the moment.
George Takei tweet: Brad, who is 100 percent beside me on this, as my life partner of more than 30 years and now my husband, stands fully by my side. I cannot tell you how vital it has been to have his unwavering support.
The claims against Mr Takei comes amid a wave of sexual assault and harassment allegations crashing across the world.
Netflix has severed ties with House of Cards star Kevin Spacey, and comedian Louis CK has issued an apology on allegations of sexual misconduct.
On Saturday, a clip of audio surfaced from Mr Takei’s appearance on Howard Stern’s radio show last month.
The interview was recorded less than two weeks after sexual assault accusations against fallen film mogul Harvey Weinstein were made public.
Mr Stern and Mr Takei were discussing the “irony” of the Weinstein case and the audiotape of President Donald Trump boasting about grabbing women’s genitals years ago, when Mr Stern asked Mr Takei whether he had ever grabbed a man’s genitals against their will.
Mr Takei, a staunch Trump opponent, initially was silent, then said “uh oh” and laughed.
The radio host asks again and Mr Takei said “Some people are kind of skittish, or maybe, um, uh, afraid, and you’re trying to persuade”.
Mr Stern and his co-host, Robin Quivers, persisted, asking Takei whether he ever held a job over somebody for sex and he said no.
Mr Quivers asked if he did “this grabbing at work”.
Mr Takei responded “It was either in my home. They came to my home”.
Meeting planned on Spacey sexual assault claim
In another development in the barrage of sexual assault, harassment and rape allegations to rock the entertainment and other industries, Massachusetts prosecutors will meet with the son of a former Boston TV news anchor who said Kevin Spacey sexually assaulted the teenage boy at a Nantucket restaurant.
Cape and Islands District Attorney Michael O’Keefe told The Boston Globe on Friday the meeting “will occur soon”.
Heather Unruh told reporters on Wednesday that Spacey stuck his hand down her then-18-year-old-son’s pants and grabbed his genitals while the two of them were at a restaurant in July 2016.
Ms Unruh said Spacey ultimately left to use the bathroom and when he was out of sight, her son ran away.
Spacey’s lawyer didn’t immediately return an email seeking comment on Saturday.